WELCOME! TO THE
CITY OF JEFFERS
Mayor Brad Prins and the City Council of Jeffers extend a warm
welcome to our community.
- Website Address: www.jeffers.us.com
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone #: 628-4242
Jeffers City Hall is located at 106 S. Deaver Avenue
Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Wednesdays from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
2nd and 4th Mondays from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Public Works: Lance Holmen 830-1303
- City Clerk: Sharen Goeman*
- Assistant Clerk: Peggy Hubley
- Electrical Service: South Central Electric (507) 628-5571
- Gas: Agrinatural Gas (507)524-4103, (507)920-7416
- Water, Garbage Drive-by Fee, Sewer deposit: $300 deposit is
REQUIRED from all new residents, whether renting or purchasing homes. The deposit from a renter
will be returned if you move from the community, providing your water, garbage and sewer bill payments are current. The deposit from a homeowner will be returned after four years if a good payment record has been maintained.
PAYMENTS FOR WATER/GARBAGE/SEWER: Can be made by mail, in person and via the drop box on the front of city hall.
- Garbage: Pick-up is on Friday mornings by Hometown Sanitation. The City of Jeffers is on a volume garbage system. All residents are charged a base rate of $4.55 whether you use the service or not. In order for Hometown to pickup your garbage you are required to purchase garbage bags or tags from the city clerks office or rent a container from Hometown Sanitation.
Ten 33 gallon orange bags: $21.00 Ten 20 gallon yellow bags: $18.00
(The cost of the bags includes a tipping fee at the Cottonwood County Landfill and is considered part of your garbage bill. Also include is a 9.75% State Solid Waste Management Tax).
Ten 20 gallon blue tags: $14.00
Ten 30 gallon red tags: $18.00
The tags can be put on your own bags or container that you purchase.
Contact Hometown Sanitation (507) 832-8946 if you wish to rent a container from them. Garbage should be set out on the boulevard by 8 am.
- Telephone: Contact CenturyTel at 1-800-644-1840. Local calls can be made to the Jeffers area, Windom, Storden, Sanborn and Lamberton.
- Internet: Options include: CenturyTel, & Back 40 Wireless
- Recycling Program: Is serviced by Waste Management. This service is provided by Cottonwood County at no charge to the residents or City of Jeffers. Contact Waste Management at (507) 929- 3772 or (507) 344-2226. Pickup curbside in Jeffers is every other Thursday.
- Public Safety: The City of Jeffers has a well equipped Volunteer Fire Department and Volunteer First Responder Service. The city is also patrolled by the Cottonwood County Sheriffs Department. If you have an emergency dial 9-1-1.
- Water, Garbage Drive-by Fee, Sewer Bill: Bill is mailed once per month by the 1st and due on the 15th. Your water meter is read remotely on the 25th. Payment can be mailed, dropped off at the drop box at City Hall or made in person. A 10% late fee is charged if not paid by the due date.
- Legal/Public Notices: are published in the Citys official newspaper, the Cottonwood County Citizen. Some notices will only be posted at City Hall, Post Office or on the sign at the corner of Whited and Courthouse Avenue.
- Nuisance Ordinances: City ordinances prohibit accumulation of junk or inoperable vehicles, gar- bage, discarded household items, trash, etc., tall weeds, grass taller than 6 inches will not be tolerated.
- Animal Ordinances: All dogs and cats are required to have a license from the City. The licenses can be obtained from the City Clerk. The fee is $10.00 for each license and is for the lifetime of the pet. Proof of rabies vaccination must be shown before the license can be purchased. Dogs and cats are required to be on a leash. Any animals found running at large will be impounded at the Cottonwood Vet Clinic and the owner will be required to pay a fine.